Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Swedish Chef Diaries


Considering we are in a small “flat” in the middle of a city where we still wear our winter hats in April, I came to grips with the fact that I will not be grilling up a storm anytime soon. This is a big change from the A where we would grill almost every night and I was making my way through the Weber Grilling Cookbook (their skirt steak is where it’s at)
But, like most of the lessons we learned so far, adaptation is key for us out here. So instead of lamenting my lack of brisket, ribs, bbq wings and grilled pizza, I am branching out. While I wouldn’t have my mac and cheese side dishes, I decided to look local and focus on more traditional foods from around here. I found a few good Swedish cooking blogs (below), and then branched out to “Scandinavian Cooking”, which yielded some pretty solid results.
The goal now is “when in rome” style, and I am going to try out as many Swedish dishes as Lisa can handle (we will break her of her salmon ambivalence yet). I will mostly be covering how I messed up the dishes (knowing how I roll), and will provide links to the online recipes (so you can know how you are actually supposed to do it). The major driver of what we make will be what is on sale – food is really expensive and we are really cheap. So if it is salmon for $2,50 a lb, or elk steaks (any price really), we’ll let the market direct our recipes.
And just so I remember what to cook when guests come in town, we’ll be giving a rating to each recipe – from both Lisa and I (and anyone else that happens to be in town)
Enjoy!
(and if you find any good Scandinavian recipes, send em our way!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here