Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Swedish Chef Diaries – Swedish Pork Chops

We don’t eat pork chops too often, but figured we would give them a try when I saw them in the weekly flyer yesterday. As with almost every meal now, I just type “Swedish XYZ” into Google and see what pops up. This recipe was on food.com, but referenced the New Scandinavian show that I had found, so I figured it was worth a try.

The recipe called for Roquefort cheese, and considering I can’t find basic things in the store, there was little to no chance of me finding that. While I gave a valiant effort, I eventually just bought the feta that was on sale as well. The only other change was that we added mushrooms to the onion mixture – I think that ‘shrooms go with every Swedish dish.

Overall the recipe was pretty simple and the roasted potatoes we made on the side came out pretty solid. Feta makes everything better. When asked for her review after dinner, Lis went on a 10 minute mini-tirade against pork chops (too fatty, not enough meat, etc), before giving the meal a 4 out of 5. Imagine if she liked the meat!

Oh, and in case Lis brings it up – yes, I almost burnt the house down during this recipe. We got a phone call half way through from our potential landlord and I had to do some negotiations. I admit, I lost a littttttle bit of leverage when the smoke detector went off during my dissertation on why we would take good care of their home. But danger made the pork really come alive!

Score:

Jonathan – 2,5 /5 Borks (nothing bad, but nothing really special about it)

Lisa – 4/5 (wants to retry with a tenderloin)

http://www.food.com/recipe/swedish-cutlets-or-pork-chops-375678


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here