Tuesday, April 19, 2011

August: Osage County



This past Friday night (April 15th) consisted of a great dinner at Empire State South and then a night of theater (pronounced haughtily, theah-tuher) to see August: Osage County at Atlanta's Alliance Theater about a dysfunctional family.  If you thought your family had a patent pending on the the F-word, then you haven't seen this play. It's what critics have called a tragicomedy because it is similar to a roller coaster of emotions.  Throughout the play I laughed, cringed and felt really uncomfortable and awkward.  All of the actors are Atlanta-based so we recognized some of them from their previous work in A Christmas Carol.  Personally, I was not a fan of watching Ebeneezer Scrooge (really the actor) get undressed to his tighty whities on stage, but I guess it's all 'art'. There was another uncomfortable moment of pedophila/incest which was notably cringeworthy.  Again, I suppose the actors are excited for roles that push the envelope but I'm not sure how it makes me feel as an audience member.  All in all, the play was quite long (2 intermissions) and tested the extent of my pregnant bladder control.  It was a great night out and I would recommend the play to anyone interested in seeing a family more dysfunctional than your own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here