Thursday, March 31, 2011

Parenting Advice -- take it or leave it?

So, we have already had to struggle with our first bit of parenting advice and whether or not we should take it or leave it. 

Here is the situation:
IF the baby is born May 5th, the baby will be 5 weeks old when we need to travel to RI for Anna's wedding. We are then planning to show the baby off to the Ferland family and then travel up to Albany so that the Dwyer/Howland family can see the newest addition. This is really going against all pediatrician's recommendations that babies NOT travel prior to their 8 week immunizations.  Also, they do not recommend that non-sibling children under the age of 12 handle or see the baby until the baby is at least 8 weeks old.  That would mean that we couldn't visit Jill, Leah and Megan or Rachel and the Glasheen girls.  The last thing we want is to have this wonderful trip and not be able to share our baby with our family members.  I'm really struggling with the conservative pediatrician guidelines and what we really want to do.

As a new mother, I know it's completely within my power to say that no children under a certain age can see my newborn but that's not what I want to do.  It wouldn't be so much of a struggle if I didn't help write health guidance and policies (like the pediatrician guidelines) for my profession. Do I just ignore the pediatrician and cross my fingers that my newborn won't get sick?  Or do I heed on the side of caution and not share our baby with our littlest family members?

This isn't just an "adult decision."  This is a parenting decision with a lot of gray area with no clear right or wrong answer.  I'm sure my stress and worry over this issue will just be the start of many other things I will need to worry about in this child's life.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm I don't think there is a right answer here. It's about how you feel! You're in a tough spot, but the best thing you can do is probably to ignore what everyone says and do what you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I took my babies to the mall at 5 days, so I'm not one to say keep them at home. And, there was no way I was keeping my toddler from loving on his newborn baby brother. They're both fine and no sicker than any other children. A good rule for the snotty-nose toddler trying to get a closer look is to touch the feet only. Just try and keep them away from their mouth, eyes and ears...that goes for adults too, really. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts here