Thursday, June 7, 2012

Fashion Flubs in Trendy Stockholm


Being out of touch in the fashion world is nothing new to me.  I have my solid colored shirts, jeans and I'm good to go.  I've been living in the same walking/hiking shoes/boots for the past 10 years or so (much to the horror of my fashion conscious friends).  I will constantly opt for comfort over fashion, so I was hesitant to comment AT ALL on fashion in Stockholm which is notoriously unique in its stylings.

Personally, I find some of the fashion here to be absolutely hideous and trashy.  Jon thinks that "trashy" might be overstating it a little but I think that's because he enjoys watching these young Swedish women prance around in short shorts.  I can't blame him really either.

A few things to note -- the older people here (i.e., senior citizens) really know how to dress snappy.  Their clothes are always clean and pressed and have that old timey feel to them.  Kind of like when women used to get dressed up to go to the bank back in the 1950s -- except they still do that here.  It's like we never left the 50's -- well, for them anyway.

Ok, onto general fashion trends...

Stripes/Nautical 
This makes sense because we are surrounded by water.  People wear boat shoes around but most people opt for bare feet on their boats.  These are my kind of people! I can get behind the striped look. It's pretty cute.  Also, most women here range from size 0-4 so they can get away with stripes every day.

80's attack


I was just a newbie when the 80's fashion was in full swing, but I distinctly remember bright neon clothing, Molly Ringwald flowered hats and blousy shirts and high-waisted pants.  Not only have Stockholmites decided that the 80's should be relived but they have apparently brought back only the most hideous styles.  I saw a woman wearing a neon blue windbreaker today...not kidding.  Just when you thought it was safe to go outside, you run across a pair of stirrup pants! Shriek!

Booty shorts with black hose
If you are anyone besides a professional MODEL, you CANNOT pull this off.  Some of the teenagers at the high school across from our apartment have decided that ripping giant streaks in their black panty hose makes them look rebellious.  Instead, they look quite trashy.

Visible underwear
I thought the point of undergarments was to hide them beneath your clothing. Instead, bras are a new accessory and feature prominently through your very-thin-I-can-see-your-bra shirt.  Clearly, this is a summer-only type style here in Stockholm and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I'm leaning towards trashy but depending on the outfit, it can come out looking quite cute.

Sweatpants
I'm not sure who told these ladies that sweatpants were acceptable to wear anywhere except a college campus at 8am, but they should be informed immediately! I'm all for comfort but there is a limit people!

Hammer time pants
It's Hammer-Time! This is a fashion-don't if I ever saw one.  Nobody's crotch should ever become a walking hazard.

Mom Jeans (high waisted AND tapered)
OK, ok, Stockholm has probably the highest density of moms per capita, so you would think that they could get a free pass on this one.  But NO! I've seen very very young non-moms sporting the mom jean look causing my jaw to gape open in amazement.  You mean you are wearing these intentionally and not by some oversight because you were distracted while raising your family for the past 2 decades???!?!? What other excuse is there?  No 17 year old young lady should be wearing mom jeans at the beach! For heaven's sake! Have some sense of decency!  And mom-jean shorts...well, just forget about it!


So, that's it for now. I'm sure there will be more fashion atrocities that I find humorous in the near future.  Walking around Stockholm is interesting (to say the least) and the people watching is entertaining for hours.  Who needs to read books or listen to music when you can watch the most interesting fashion choices stroll by, smoke cigarettes and push baby strollers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here