Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Didn't know I was raising a baby tiger cub

The title of this post is in no way referencing the Tiger Mom though I think that raising your kids with an iron fist of discipline and high expectations is awesome, I can't bring myself to put a violin in Calvin's hands quite yet.  No...what I'm referring to is the numerous incidents my 6 month old baby has marred my skin with his tiny baby claws.

I know what you're thinking -- "well if you were a good mom, you would trim his nails! there! done! problem solved!" -- First off, I do trim his nails - when he lets me.  Which is never as often as it NEEDS to be done.  Sometimes I can only get 1 or 2 nails before he pushes me away and tries to crawl/womp on his face away from me. So, what he's left with is a hand full of stub nails and super sharp nails.  Secondly, even when you do get all of his nails, now you have fresh-never-touched-anything nails.  Those are sharp too!  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Last week, I traveled with Calvin up to Rhode Island for a work conference.  It was great because my mother in law was able to watch him while I went to the ballroom down the hall of the hotel and listened to outbreaks all day.  It was a win-win for everyone!

Apparently, during the night in the hotel, Calvin managed to scratch my face- - next to MY EYE!  Aside from almost blinding me, he left a nice scratch right next to my EYE.  Am I crying or bleeding?? I don't know!?!  I had to go back to the conference on Friday with what must've looked similar to those tear tattoos that prisoners get for shanking people.  The length of the scratch was around 1-1.5 tears so people probably thought I was pretty badass.

On the plane ride back to Atlanta, I was classified as "infant in arms" because he is still under 2 years and I'm going to milk those cheap plane tickets for all they are worth.  Well, they should've put on my ticket, "dangerous baby cub in arms" because in an effort to keep him from crying and annoying everyone in my near vicinity on the plane, I let him sit in my lap facing me and play with the front of my sweater.  He was getting a little excited and scratched straight down my neck/chest.  I swear, it looked like someone cut me with a knife!  I could instantly feel what I thought was blood -- or just that clear goop that comes out of scratched skin to heal it quickly.  He ended up leaving a 5 inch red angry scratch on my chest.

He may not look dangerous in this picture but neither does the baby tiger below.  Calvin knows how to leave his mark on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here