Friday, June 3, 2011

Family weekend madness!

My cousin graduated from college (yay!) and was having a pinning ceremony for her degree.  Unfortunately, Jon had to work and we were unable to make the ceremony but we did make it for the weekend of family fun.  Since Jon was working all day Friday, I made the bold choice to take Calvin in the car on my own for a 4 hour drive.  Well, the drive is normally 4 hours -- with Calvin, it took a little bit longer.

The drive down was planned around his "nap" time -- usually its an elusive and moving target but generally he calms down between 11am-2pm each day.  The plan was for me to head down and try to make it to Statesboro within that window.  We almost made it!  He was timing his freakouts nicely whenever I had 1 mile until the nearest exit.  I was able to pull over, nurse, gas the car, burp Calvin, change his diaper and hit the road all within 30 minutes.  I knew I only had another 1.5 hours until the next Calvin pit-stop so I tried to keep things moving.  Again, he timed his next stop nicely and we had a drama-free pit stop.  After another 2 hours of driving, we were 15 miles from my Uncle's house.  Come on Calvin! We can make it 15 miles.  I knew that if we stopped, it would be another 30 minutes or I could keep driving and he could be out of the car for good in 30 minutes.  I did the tough thing and drove through his cries. We ended up at the house and we were both happy to have him out of his carseat.  We walked into a house full of family anxious to meet him and he was anxious to eat, poop comfortably and enjoy the love!

It was great to see everyone -- especially Nana and Boomps since who knows when we'll be able to make the 9 hour drive to their house.  I want people to meet Calvin as a baby since he'll be grown soon enough!  Of course, everyone loved him and we even got a few genuine smiles from him that weren't related to gas.  It was nice to have some relaxing time in the pool while Calvin got star treatment from my Aunt and cousins.  It's nice to have family love him as much as we do.  He gets cuter everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here