So here is a super condensed version of the past 5 months:
- Calvin contracted chickenpox and I learned that combating the itching throughout the night is nearly impossible - midnight cuddles work well but nobody sleeps.
- Lucy ALSO contracted the chickenpox thanks to the generous kisses, sneezes and snots from her big brother. I was concerned because she was only 4 months old but she only manifested 6 spots total and earned some pox scars on her belly as proof that she endured a mild case. She'll be at greater risk for shingles as an adult so she will get the vaccine for that eventually.
- THAT TOOK UP MY ENTIRE MONTH
- Calvin started a new school right across the street from us, so Jon did the inskolning while I tended to chicken poxed Lucy at home
- He LOVES his new school - the teachers are old school Swedish marms and have been doing this for 30 years. He'll be a proper little Swedish boy in another year or so.
- His English and Swedish language skills are skyrocketing and he is speaking in full sentences and using the word "either" properly, which I found to be impressive. His manners are very proper and I find it hard to resist him when he asks in his little chirpy voice, "I would like x, y and z, please, Momma?"
- Jon left for the Dominican Republic for a week for cousin Mikey and Megan's wedding - I was wishing I could go too and enjoy an open bar, warm weather and family fun.
- VISITORS and Jon worked nonstop
- Dave visited for a few days and then he and Jon went to London for the London Marathon. Dave did a great job and finished all 26.2 miles despite being incredibly sick the day prior. Jon played the part of tourist very well and sampled all of the nearby London pubs.
- My mom came to visit and we had beautifully warm weather. We enjoyed a fun filled day at Skansen and other adventures.
- Calvin had his 3 year old dental appointment and they scolded me for not having him brush his teeth twice a day for 2 minutes at a time (all in Swedish). I laughed in their faces - pretty sure that crossed the language barrier clearly.
- Joann came at the end of April and we created a plane cake for Calvin. Making elaborate cakes are my version of a marathon - I enjoy the beginning, abhor the middle, and can't wait to finish but am always glad I did it in the end.
- We finished April with our favorite Swedish celebration of spring - Calvin's birthday and Walpurgis Natt. He believes the huge bonfire is solely for his birthday.
- May 1st we woke up to snow. Apparently the warm weather was just a tease and spring once again, a cruel temptress.
- Potty training Calvin = nonstop laundry and having to tap into a bottomless pit of patience. Nobody really tells you what's involved - not the whole truth anyway.
- Proof that I have no green thumb - the tulips our landlord planted years ago all bloomed beautifully despite the morning frosts and the two flowers I planted in April are as dead as a doornail.
|what i planted - they didn't even survive a week!|
So there ya go - a condensed version of the past few months - all typed one handed while holding Lucy