|These beauties appeared in the middle of our |
yard where grass normally grows. Pretty!
In addition to the typical weather patterns that indicate spring is arriving, we've noticed that Stockholm has its own indicators. Everyone seems to relax a little more and shovels are put away in their garages until the next snow fall or 6 months, whichever comes first.
Here is our list of uniquely Swedish/Stockholmish signs of spring:
- You put away your heavy winter gear for your early spring/fall gear -- lighter gloves and hats are now worn around town
- Hunter rain boots and spandex are the new uniform for the Swedish women
- Snow drop flowers start popping up through the snow
- Everyone sweeps the rocks, grit and dead leaves into the street so that the...
- Town hoovers/vacuums the streets of all of the sand and grit
- Motorcycle drag races on the streets start up again
- Your heating bill begins to decline by about 500 SEK/month
- Neighbors start shoveling their lawns of all snow into the streets to help it melt
- Dead branches and trees are collected and placed for the upcoming large bonfire celebration, Walpurgis Night, on April 30th
|The site of our local bonfire for Walpurgis Night|
Happy Springtime everyone! Enjoy the sunshine!