Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Grammy Dwyer comes to visit while I go back to work

So, my dreaded return to work was made easier by a few things:
1. My mother came into town to watch Calvin and help with the transition and
2. I'm working Tues-Thursday for the first month back.

Thank you to my Mom and to my job for being so accommodating.  It has made the transition back not only feasible but much MUCH less painful than if I had to do daycare AND go back full time.  My mom has done an excellent job of LOVING the pants off of Calvin.  His smiles get brighter when she is around and he has so much fun playing with her.  It's awesome to have someone love him as much as we do and know that he is getting that one on one attention he deserves.  She has also been sending me pictures and videos which I LOVE.  It keeps me going throughout the day and I don't feel like I'm missing out too much.  I still miss his squeals and giggles but her videos have helped capture some of them.

The first day back was overwhelming and balancing the pumping to keep my supply up, addressing emails, catch up with co-workers and figure out what my new job is, I haven't had too much time to think about being away from my baby.  I didn't cry at all during my first day back which was a huge success for me.  In fact I didn't wear any eye make up because I feared raccoon eyes would result in some mid-day crying fits.  I got home before 5 and nursed Calvin immediately and he played "shy" with me and would hide under my arm.  Within 5 minutes I felt restored and as if I could completely let my work day go.

One thing that I have learned is that work-life balance is key.  I used to show up to the office early and leave late.  Now I spend at much time at home as possible and hurry back as soon as the clock hits 4:30pm.  Things are still sorting themselves out at work but so far so good.  Everyone has been very welcoming and helpful.  They also coo over the pictures of Calvin on my desk and oblige me when I show them his latest picture on my phone.


Taken on my first day back at work -- so happy!

3 moms in one picture!

Calvin enjoying some people watching on Peachtree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here